If you’re new to publishing, it can be difficult to know where to begin when submitting your application. Below are some tips to help you get underway.
Before You Apply
- Learn as much as possible about the company you are applying for. What books do they publish? What departments interest you?
- Most companies have dedicated websites and social media platforms. Take time to look through their content and familiarize yourself with their brand.
- What about the company excites you? Which imprints publish the books you like to read or would like to work with?
- For more information on what an imprint is, click here.
- Analyze the job description and assess reflect on what the hiring manager is looking for in a candidate.
- Think about any transferable skills you may have. For example, prior experience as a barista may have allowed you to develop time management and organizational skills. Be sure to include these skills in your resume and cover letter.
- Use keywords and action words where applicable.
Now that you have done your research, you are ready to create or tailor your resume and cover letter.